Standardbred Association QueenslandNot Just for Racing
The Standardbred Association Queensland Inc. (SAQ) promotes the Standardbred as a successful and versatile horse that can excel in many disciplines outside their traditional role of harness racing. Through shows and organised displays, we highlight the abilities and exceptional temperament of the Standardbred horse.
What We Do
SAQ has many goals and ideas for the future. We aim to continue to grow our Association so that we can build relationships and rapport with owners, trainers, members, the equine industry and the general public. We promote Standardbreds as not only great harness racehorses but as competition horses in a variety of disciplines as well.
We aim to be an Association with a common interest: “To promote contact between Standardbred owners regardless of experience or the discipline their horse/s are involved in”.
Here are just some of things our members currently enjoy:
- The opportunity to adopt Standardbred horses through the SAQ Rehoming and Adoption Program
- Sponsorship of Breed classes at Agricultural Shows and the Brisbane RNA Show
- Competitions such as the Annual Standardbred State Hacking & Harness Championships, Track to Hack Series, State Dressage Championships and State Show Jumping Championships
- Organised displays at race meetings
- Events, seminars, clinics, information days and musters
- Organised Trail Rides, weekend trips and other social events with our horses
- Registration of Pleasure and Performance Standardbreds and Partbred Standardbreds
- Annual Members Awards, including the Pony Club Performance Horse and Endurance Performance Horse awards
For Our Members
Each year, we hold at least four Musters to provide positive social engagement for both members and non-members.
We host competitions, and also provide other clubs with prizes and incentives for their competing Standardbreds.
We hold a variety of educational clinics on topics such as training, other disciplines, show prep and horse management.
Finding A Home
Our rehoming program is specifically for Standardbred horses that are retired from, or unsuitable for harness racing.
Become a Member
Enjoy the many benefits of being a member of the Standardbred Association of Queensland. You too can participate in the shared experience of these wonderful horses with other like-minded people.
Adopt & Foster
We currently have some Standardbred horses that are available for adoption to good homes. The temperament of the breed in general makes the Standardbred suitable for almost any use.