Register your Horse
Registration provides official identification of the horse, which may be requested for equestrian competitions and/or breed classes by event/show committees. It may also identify a person as the owner/lessee of a horse. Note that, for Standardbreds, HRA (Harness Racing Australia) papers may also serve a similar purpose.
The SAQ provides owners who are SAQ Members of pleasure Standardbreds with the opportunity to register their horses for non-racing equestrian disciplines. Often when horses start their non-racing competition careers owners do not have the horse’s Harness Racing Australia (HRA) registration papers. This is often as original owners do not want their horses to race again and therefore they do not pass on the horses papers.
At A Glance
- Applications for registration will only be accepted from financial members of SAQ.
- Registration is free for financial members of SAQ.
- All costs of DNA testing of Part Bred or NRS Standardbred horse and either the sire or dam (if required) must be paid by the member during the registration process.
- All fees paid are non-refundable.
- Registration is for the life of the horse.
- For horses under the SAQ Horse Adoption program, registration will automatically occur at the end of the lease period as part of the transfer process.
- Acceptance of registration is at the discretion of the registrar, or in the case of dispute, the SAQ Committee.
- SAQ will not enter into any disputes regarding registration/ownership of a horse.
- As we are an organisation run by volunteers, please allow a minimum of 6 weeks for full processing of registration.
Your Horse’s Name
All owners that apply for horse registration with the SAQ must use their horses registered harness racing name. The SAQ follow the rules of Harness Racing Australia and therefore horses are not allowed to change names except under special rules.
For a horse that is unnamed with Harness Racing Australia, you can apply for a name through the registration process. You will not be able to use the same name of a horse already registered with HRA – Check HRA OnLine for name availability.
If a SAQ registered and named horse is found to have the same name as a horse registered with HRA, the name will need to be changed.
Can I Register
Unbranded and Partbred Horses?
For Unbranded and Partbred Standardbreds, the National Non Racing Studbook (NRS) and the National Partbred Register are produced by Standardbred Pleasure and Performance Horse Association of Victoria (SPPHAV) in conjunction with Harness Racing Australia (HRA) on behalf of all Standardbred Horse Associations of Australia (SHAA) members and their members within.
Only equestrian groups that hold membership to the ‘Standardbred Horse Association of Australia’ (SHAA) have the ability to process NRS and partbred Standardbred registrations.
Sample Registration Card
To complete the registration process:
- Complete the SAQ Membership Application if you are not already a member.
- Complete ALL of the horse information on the appropriate registration form. With the freezebrand or racing name of the horse, you can find this information at www.harness.org.au/hra.cfm.
- If you are registering an unnamed horse, please provide 5 alternative names in order of preference. While SAQ allows registration with your choice of name, the name cannot be the same as that of a horse already registered with HRA or SAQ.
- Please provide the following photographs of your horse, without saddlery or harness:
- A clear close up photograph of your horse’s brand. If horse is in winter coat, please clip the brand area for ease of reading.
- A full body side-on view of the off-side of the horse, clearly showing the horse’s freeze brand on the neck.
- Please send competed form, photos and fees (if applicable) to:
PO Box 348
Rosewood QLD 4340
If you need help to register your horse, please message our registrar using the form below.